Advantages Of Metal Stitching
Some Advantages of a Metal Stitched Repair
- On site repair, saving you time and avoids dismantling.
- Permanent repairs of cracks and fractures.
- Replacement of lost parts.
- The alignment (and the matching surface) of the original is maintained.
- Zero workpiece distortion (cold process so no added stress).
- Most repairs are stronger than the original.
- Gas and liquid tight if required.
- The initial stress condition that caused the fracture is eliminated.
- Spreading of any remaining tensile stresses.
- Removes the need for extensive re-machining.
- Low restoration time.
- Provides a lower co-efficient of expansion compared to the original metal
- Dampens and absorbs compression stresses
- Repairs to cast iron, steel, aluminium and other alloys
For Example A Diesel Engine Manway Door Is A Typical Repair
• The damaged metal is cut back to good.
• Metal insert is manufactured and fitted.
• Holes/slots for the locks are machined.
• Metal locks are inserted.
• The joint in between is then stitched.
• Repair is peened over (metal to metal joint).
• The area is hand ground (or machined) flush.
• Any slight irregularities can be filled
• A protective coat of paint is applied.